on State Route 169 two miles south of Overton, Nevada
Native Americans living throughout Moapa Valley between 1700 and 900 years ago left several hundred ancient pithouses, campsites, rockshelters, salt mines and caves. These so- called “Anasazi” people make up what is commonly known as “Lost City.” The Native Americans cultivated corn, beans, and squash in fields irrigated by river water. They also gathered wild seeds and fruits and hunted widely for deer, antelope, desert bighorn sheep, small mammals, and birds. They wove fine cotton cloth, fired beautifully painted and textured pottery and mined and traded salt and turquoise for seashells with coastal tribes. Early dwellings were circular pithouses below ground. Later above-ground dwellings were single story adobes having up to 100 rooms.
Lake Mead, created by Hoover Dam, flooded the most intensively developed portion of Lost City.