at the end of State Route 489, forty-five miles north of Ely
Here, at one time, was the largest town in White Pine County. Part of the Cherry Creek mining district, Cherry Creek’s greatest gold and silver production was between 1872 and 1883. At the peak of its prosperity, the town had an estimated population of 6,000.
Five miles south of here is Egan Canyon, where one of the oldest gold mines in Nevada was located. As early as 1850, American Indians mined gold there. A stage station was located by Major Howard Egan in 1859 for Woodward and Chorpenning’s California Mail Co. In 1860, it was used by the Pony Express as a change station and from 1861 to 1869 was an overland stage station.
In 1864, a five-stamp mill-the first in eastern Nevada-and a small mining camp were constructed here. Most activity had ceased by 1883, but in 1897 there was a revival of mining, which lasted into the early 1900s. During this period, prior to the completion of the Nevada Northern Railroad in 1906, freight and passenger traffic was via long strings of massive freight wagons and stagecoaches from Toano and Wells. In 1933, the old mine was reopened and a new camp was built. Production from the Egan mine over the years was approximately $3,000,000.