on State Route 169 two miles south of Overton, Nevada
Native Americans living throughout Moapa Valley between 1700 and 900 years ago left several hundred ancient pithouses, campsites, rockshelters, salt mines and caves. These so- called “Anasazi” people make up what is commonly known as “Lost City.” The Native Americans cultivated corn, beans, and squash in fields irrigated by river water. They also gathered wild seeds and fruits and hunted widely for deer, antelope, desert bighorn sheep, small mammals, and birds. They wove fine cotton cloth, fired beautifully painted and textured pottery and mined and traded salt and turquoise for seashells with coastal tribes. Early dwellings were circular pithouses below ground. Later above-ground dwellings were single story adobes having up to 100 rooms.
Lake Mead, created by Hoover Dam, flooded the most intensively developed portion of Lost City.
on State Route 169 two miles north of Logandale, Nevada
Rich in prehistoric culture, and noted by the explorer Jedediah Smith in 1826, Moapa Valley is crossed by the Old Spanish Trail.
In 1865 Brigham Young sent 75 families to settle the area, to grow cotton for the people of Utah, and to connect Utah with the Pacific Ocean via the Colorado River.
Located near the junction of the muddy and virgin rivers, and now under Lake Mead, the “Cotton Mission” was named St. Thomas for its leader, Thomas Smith. A prosperous, self-contained agricultural industry was built up in the valley, which included orchards, vineyards, cotton, grains, and vegetables.
The December 1870, survey placed the valley in Nevada which meant property owners owed back taxes to Nevada. The settlers, now including those in St. Joseph, (old) Overton, West Point, and Logandale, began leaving two months later. They abandoned the results of 7 years of labor, more than 18 miles of irrigation canal and several hundred acres of cleared land.
Other Mormons resettled the land in 1880. The area remains one of the most agriculturally productive in the state.